Lima, Peru  |  Wednesday, May 24, 2017 04:46 am  |  |  | 

Beyond Volunteering
Book hotels in Lima, Peru

Features / Archive

March 10, 2010 13:15:29 | in General

The process of getting a Carnet Extranjería in Peru if married to a Peruvian

The carnet de extranjería is the residency card for foreigners in Peru. Below, two expats who recently obtained their carnet meticulously show us the process. The labyrinth of bureaucracy is always shifting, of course, so be prepared for changes along the way.

Prepared by Marie Alvarez-Calderon and Elba Scardaville

1. If you were married outside of Peru, you must do this while you are abroad:
    a. Call the Peruvian Consulate abroad to make an appointment to register your wedding.
    b. You and your spouse must go to the consulate’s office and take with you:

      i. a legal copy of your Marriage License
      ii. a simple translation to Spanish of your Marriage  License
      iii. a legal copy of your birth certificate (must be recently issued, because signature on copy must be verified by Consulate)
      iv. a simple translation into Spanish of your birth certificate
      v. Peruvian spouse’s DNI

    c. The Consul will issue a wedding certificate, the Acta de Matrimonio.  Request several originals because you may need them later.
    d. Upon returning to Peru, take the Acta de Matrimonio to the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores for them to legalize the Consul’s signature (Jr. Ucayali 318, Lima, 204-3337). For this service you must make a payment of S/. 22 or so in cash at the Interbank office there.
    e. Turn in the request with the receipt of the payment
    f. Pick up the legalized copy one day later. (NOTE: If your Marriage certificate was done a while back and the consul is no longer active in that city, you must go to Archive first, on the second basement of the same building. They will need to validate the signature of the former consul on your marriage certificate first. This may take one day, but if it does, talk to the archive employee and he may help you do the rest of the paperwork on the same day.)

2. Make several copies of the following:
    a. Acta de Matrimonio (both sides).
    b. Peruvian spouse’s DNI.
    c. Applicant’s passport: the two pages that include the picture and personal information.
    d. Applicant’s passport: the page that includes the stamp with the date when applicant entered Peru the last time.
    e. TAM, Tarjeta Andina de Migraciones (the small paper you fill out when you come to Peru that you turn in on your way out). Note: Migraciones in Breña will keep the original.
3. Go to the Banco de la Nacíon and make the following payments:
    a. S/. 77, codigo 08141 (needed for the Interpol).
    b. S/. 63, codigo 01814 (needed for Migraciones).
4. Fill out Form F-004 (See attachment).
5. Write a “Carta de Garantía simple de solvencia moral y económica hecha por el conyugue peruano” (See attached sample). Do one with mother’s maiden name and another with, just in case.
6.    Get a large (legal-size) manila envelope.

Go to the Interpol office in Surco and then to Migraciones in Breña.  These offices are only open to the public weekdays 8 a.m.-1 p.m. By starting before 8 a.m., this can be done in one morning. 


1. Go to Interpol office located at Av. Velasco Astete 1491 (near the intersection of Velasco Astete and Caminos del Inca),  and take:
    a. a copy of Peruvian spouse’s DNI
    b. a copy Acta de Matrimonio  or Peruvian wedding certificate if you were married in Peru (DO NOT let them keep the original)
    c. a copy applicant’s passport (page where picture is and page where last entry stamp is).
    d. the receipt of the S/. 77 payment to the Banco de la Nacíon.

2. Fill out the application they give you.
3. Pay U.S. $10 cash for photos taken there.
4. They will take two sets of your fingerprints and create dental records.
5. Go to the Banco del Credito to get a Money Order for the FBI.  The Interpol will give you the instructions for the money order. 
Note: There is a Banco de Credito at the corner of Caminos del Inca and Ave. Benavides (next to Wong). The Banco de Credito charges $12 to create the money order.
6. Take the money order and the legal size manila envelope to the Interpol office.  They will put documents and the money order in the envelope and place an address label on the envelope. 
7. Take the envelope to the post office.  There is a small post office near by in Caminos del Inca. 

Note: The Interpol will give you a little piece of paper, indicating that you have initiated that process.  Migraciones needs that paper to prove you have been to Interpol.


1. Go to Migraciones en Breña (see map).
Note: If you get there before 8 a.m., you will be directed to a waiting area. Stand near the staircase so you can be first in line.
2. Go to the third floor and stop at the reception area at the top of the stairs. Show them the original of the Acta de Matrimonio and ask them to certify a copy of the Acta de Matrimonio.
3. Then, go to the offices on the left side and go to window #8 or #9.
At the window, present the following:
    a. The legalized copy of the Acta de Matrimonio.
    b. Formulario F-004.
    c. Receipt of payment of S/. 63 at the Banco de la Nacíon.
    d. Both copies of your passport (pages with personal data and the page with the stamp with date of entry to Peru).
    e. Original TAM (Tarjeta Andina de Migraciones).
    f. Carta de Garantía.
    g. Copy of Peruvian spouse’s DNI.
    h. Paper from Interpol office to show them that that process has been started.

4. The person at the window may or may not give you his or her email address so you can check on the status of the process. In any event, write down his name. They will give you a number Número de Expediente which you will need to use to check the status of the process.
5. That person will give you all of the papers attached together.
6. Take the application papers to the first floor at the Mesa de Partes (to the left of the front door). This area stays open until 4 p.m.
Note: This person may also give you an e-mail address.

Following Up:
1. Before Migraciones can complete the process, they must first receive your report from Interpol. This can take 3-4 weeks.
2. After this time has passed, you can use the above Número de Expediente and e-mail address to check the status of your paperwork.
Note: people are moved around and will probably not notify you when they are no longer assigned to your case.
3. If your e-mail does not receive a response, you may have to return to Breña to find out the status of your paperwork. They may tell you that you someone else has been assigned your file, go to that other window and enquire. This person will usually tell you when to come back to check if it has been approved.
4. When your paperwork is approved you will be asked to return to the Migraciones Office in Breña to request to the Carnet de Extranjeria.


1. Go to Migraciones in Breña and take your passport and the Número de Expediente.
2. Go to the third floor to the offices on the left side, proceeding to window #8 or #9.  Give them your Numero de Expediente number so they can look up your paper work.
3. They will ask you to do the following:
    a. Complete form F007-A (application for “Carnet de Extranjeria”) which they provide to you at that time.
    b. Complete form F007 (exception for annual fee for spouses of Peruvian citizens) which they provide to you at that time.

4. Go to the Banco de la Nacíon office (located on the first floor) and make the payments for S/. 36and S/. 27.
5. Go to the Mesa de Partes, also on the first floor. Turn both forms and both payment receipts. They will give you a slip of paper with a number indicating that you have submitted the papers.
6. Go back to the third floor to the offices on the left side proceeding to window #5 or #6 taking the slip of paper from the Mesa de Partes with you.
7. At that window they will schedule you to come back to have for finger prints and picture taken.  They will give a slip of paper with the date.  In our case, this was a week from that date.


Go to Migraciones in Breña. Take your passport and the slip of paper with appointment date.
2. Go to the third floor to the offices on the left side proceeding to windows #13 through #15.  Show them your passport and the slip of paper with your appointment date and number.
Note: If they cannot find your paperwork, they also have a hand-written logbook, but you must have your appointment number to find it.
3. Once your paperwork is located, the clerk will pull up your record on the computer and ask you to review it for accuracy.
4. Once this is completed, wait in the third floor waiting area.
5. In due time (being second in line, we waited about 15 minutes) you will be called into a small room across from window #13 (labeled Biometrics), where they take your finger prints, picture, and digital signature.
6. Once this is completed, they ask you to back to the waiting area to wait for your Carnet de Extranjeria (this can take one hour).
7. When they call you, they will give you your passport back and your Carnet de Extranjeria.

Whenever you leave and return to Peru, you must now do so using your Carnet. You need to take the paper with proof of financial support.


  • The Carnet is good for a year. You must return to the Migraciones office in 11 months to begin the renewal process.
  • If your Carnet is lost, it can be replaced by going back to the Migraciones office and paying a fine.
  • You are not allowed to be out of Peru more than 183 days of the year or you will lose your residency.
  • Spouses of Peruvians are allowed to obtain a RUC with this carnet in case they want to do consulting work or freelance.
  • Make a copy of your carnet and legalize it at a notary, carry this with you instead of the actual carnet. The paperwork to obtain a duplicate can also be complicated.

Marie Alvarez-Calderon is author of
Summer in February: a memoir of Lima, Peru and its beaches (240 pages, $15), available on and at Zeta Bookstores in Lima and Asia Boulevard.

tags :

Add to | digg it! |


# Maria Eugenia Rodriguez says :
10 March, 2010 [ 05:26 ]
and what about if afterwards you get divorse?
what are the rules and paperwork??
# Susana Vidal says :
10 March, 2010 [ 10:37 ]
Wow! you have to really really really want to have the residency to put-up with such a long process. Well I did have to do a lot of paperwork for the green card, so maybe it's the same...
# frank roque says :
10 March, 2010 [ 10:51 ]
Thsi sounds like something dreamed up by Kafka, what about people who are already "Peruan@s por matrimonio"?
# Jim Wilmes says :
11 March, 2010 [ 06:47 ]
It all made sense until the last page of the PDF version, where it says: "Whenever you leave and return to Peru, you must now do so using your Carnet.  You need to take the paper with proof of financial support. (See translation of the recommendations page from the Migraciones office.)"

What is the paper with proof of financial support, and where is the recommendations page from the Migraciones office?  I find no other reference to either of these.
# Martin says :
13 March, 2010 [ 05:40 ]
This article addresses one category of Carne. There are MANY categories or, at least, there were when I received mine.

For those who are single and have income from abroad, there is no reason to get married to a Peruvian just to get your carne. Such was the case a few years ago.

Check out all categories available for yourself before deciding what is best for you. I obtained my carne, by myself, without help from anyone,
by simply not trying to cut corners and following the procedures. The folks at Migraciones were very helpful whenever I had questions.
# Winona M. says :
16 March, 2010 [ 07:58 ]
Is there a separate process if one's spouse is Peruvian, but now a citizen of the US?
# Wolf says :
17 March, 2010 [ 03:39 ]
Get a "tramitador" - if this person is qualified, he/she will do everything for relatively little money.
# John Hammond says :
24 March, 2010 [ 10:58 ]
Excellent step-by-step description of the process. Thank you!!
# lyn says :
24 March, 2010 [ 08:04 ]
Great information  but  can  you get residency  if you are single or divorced  and not married to your peruvian boyfriend,,im not divorced  from  my australian husband
just living  in a defacto relationship  with my peruvian boyfriend in lima
i know  you have to live in peru for 2 years,,but i just want to know can you be  in a relationship/serious relationship  but not   be married too apply for australian  in Lima
gracias  for any information
# Machu Picc says :
25 August, 2010 [ 04:57 ]
It all makes sense, the process for the permanent resident card a.k.a green card, is almost the same and it takes like 3 months to get it in the mail. And also the fees are over $1k, the proof of financial support is with W-2s and tax returns, pictures, bills together, etc. etc...

What about if one of the spouses was born in Peru and then became American? (the other is American)

Is it the same process?  Thanks!
# Mike Cole says :
16 September, 2010 [ 01:40 ]
Went through this process this morning (16 de septiembre 2010). My suggestions are: DO NOT go to Interpol first as they need the # from Immigration to do the paperwork. For me, it was relatively an easy process (aside from waking up at 5:30am). First, we went to Immigration office with ALL of our documents in hand (Married to Peruvian and married in Peru). There is a Banco de la Nacion on site (opens at 7:15 am and we paid [Immigrations and Interpol] and then went back to sit until 8 am when Immigrations office opened and the service was relatively friendly and expedient. Once called, we went to Immigations counter 9 and the man there loooked over the paperwork, stamped a few things and sent us to Interpol. We got there and there was nobody in line but unfortunatley, we had to go get a money order from Banco de Credito (7 blocks away) to get a check for the FBI! When we returned there was a pretty long line (mostly a group of about 8 chinese--as if we don't have enough chifa!) doing the same. Finally, when I was called, they took pictures, looked at my teeth and I was finished. HOWEVER, for those of you considering to move here (particularly from the US, Canada, etc), I will tell you that you had better be sitting on a bar of gold or have a ton of money stashed away somewhere because right now I could buy 2 houses (1600 sq ft each) with nice plots of land almost ANYWHERE in the US for what I could buy a single, very small apartment (200 sq ft) in any DECENT part of Lima. All I am saying is think very carefully about your decision!
# REbeca Marcello says :
14 December, 2010 [ 09:28 ]
Do yo know the name and telephone number of a good "tramitador" that I can contact???  My husband will definitely will not do all this procedure.  He hates paperwork, long lines, etc, etc.
Thank you!
# Lissel Vilaire-Cabeche de Navarro says :
10 July, 2011 [ 03:51 ]
Thank you for your detailed explanation of the "tramites" required for the CE. I wish I had known about this when I originally applied for it. Fortunately, I can past this info to my Colombian sister-in-law who will be coming to live in Peru with her Peruvian husband.

Add Comment

Full Name


Notify me via e-mail of new comments to this entry.

Code :


  • Comments are the property of their respective authors, and is not responsible for the content of these comments
  • Only comments in English will be published
  • Por ahora solo se permiten comentarios en ingles.
  • Any offensive, injurious, profane or disrespectful comments will not be published
  • You must include a real email address (this WILL be verified) for your comments to be published
  • Repeat comments, or comments of a similar nature written by the same person will not be published
  • All comments are sent to a moderator before publication
  • Referring to the topic indicated in the article will increase your chances of publication
  • Repeat offenses of the above guidelines will result in the removal of your ability to comment


  1. art, culture, lifestyle (391)
  2. cuisine (43)
  3. entertainment (64)
  4. environment (37)
  5. Expat Life (120)
  6. General (187)
  7. health, medicine (32)
  8. history (14)
  9. photography (5)
  10. politics (69)
  11. society (82)
  12. sports (32)

Last 5 posts

Last comments

See all comments

Features web syndication [RSS]
what is "web syndication" ?