Lima, Peru  |  Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:35 pm  |  |  |

Beyond Volunteering
Book hotels in Lima, Peru

Features / Comments

In A formula for learning Spanish in Peru
Luis Legua says :
July 27, 2011 13:36:42
Hi everyone,A formula for learning spanish in Peru,
I totally agree with Larry, and patience is an important ingredient to learning a language, however, you have to go crazy! (in a good sense). I mean a TOTALLY positive mental atittude through the whole learning processs, Let me tell you a little bit about my own experience; I am peruvian and  a qualified spanish teacher, I traveled to Brazil to marry Marta, I had studied translation from spanish to Portuguese, (now you might be thinking portuguese and spanish are so similar! you might be wrong), I literally crammed my brains, I studied day and night, asked questions, I was never afraid to talk to people and ask them the right way to say things.
If you have any other questions about learning feel free to contact me.See my other posts
Luis Legua
[REPLY]
In Looking back: Five years of Alan Garcia
Peru-N-English Blog says :
July 27, 2011 13:28:12
Garcia has set the bar high. I think he has done a marvelous job. If Humala can reach as high I will be satisfied. When the economy is surging and people don’t benefit, that is as much their failure as anyone’s. You have to be willing to get on board. Most of these people who have not benefited have done everything in their power to resist change. The helping hand has been extended and they bite it. If you won’t change you can’t grow. That is not government’s responsibility. Adaptation to the future is key not rejection of it. Rejection is simply a resistant and obstructive call for free handouts not productive advancement. Where would any of us be if we remained cast in a the past? Poor… that’s where! [REPLY]
In Opinion: Machu Picchu – A Failed Historic Management
Daniel Buck says :
July 27, 2011 12:45:39
When all is said and done, it remains the case that Hiram Bingham III found, cleared, photographed, studied, and made known to the outside world Machu Picchu. Yes, the site was mentioned a few times over the centuries in colonial and republican-era documents, locals farmed there, a few explorers had heard of it, Lizarraga scribbled his name there, etc., but no one paid any attention to Machu Picchu.  No one went there and exclaimed, "Holy Cow! this is incredible!"  No one did anything.

Machu Picchu before Bingham was abandoned, neglected, and forgotten.  A pile of rocks covered in vegetation.  Bingham changed all that.

Give the man his due.

Daniel Buck [REPLY]
In Do you like football? Becoming a soccer fan in Peru
JC says :
July 27, 2011 7:54:58
After 7 years in Peru, I still can't watch more than the first 10 minutes and the last 5 minutes of any soccer game.  I fail to see why the world loves this game so much.  Maybe if the players would stop "flopping" on the ground, crying for a penatly, it would help.  Regardless, I don't enjoy watching any sport which tends to end in 1-0 or 1-1, or worse... 0-0.  Seriously, zip-zip? Isn't that like watching paint dry? Being a fan of "American" football and its hard hitting toughness, I can't get enough of the NFL and NCAA football.  However, if the day comes when teams start playing to 7-7 ties or not scoring, I will stop watching "gridiron" as well.  I don't think that will happen because the rules officials would change the rules to make sure we always have a lot of offense is in the game.  Why don't make the goals in soccer larger? Or get rid of the off-sides rule. These two changes would make the game much more watchable.  I know... spoken like a true gringo. [REPLY]
In A formula for learning Spanish in Peru
g says :
July 27, 2011 0:17:39
What a nice article! I will try the same advice regarding English language.

Greetings!

[REPLY]
In Do you like football? Becoming a soccer fan in Peru
Johnny says :
July 26, 2011 17:38:05
Nice read, Larry.  Wish you had been around in the '70s when Peru had one of the top teams in the world.  They were a top-8 finisher at the 1970 and 1978 World Cups (didn't qualify in 1974) and Copa America champion in 1975.  They were still decent afterwards.  Semifinalist at both the 1979 and 1983 Copa Americas, qualified into the 1982 World Cup, but minus a brief return to form in the late 1990s, it's been downhill ever since.

Even after this great run I don't think Peru has the horses to touch their Golden Era.  I doubt they're even as good as the late '90s teams (Nol Solano, Chorri Palacios, Chemo del Solar, Camello Soto, Flavio Maestri, Condor Mendoza, Oscar Ibanez) but they just might have the smartest coach in the world right now!

We'll see where Acasiete, Rodriguez, Vargas, Guerrero, and Chiroque (none of them all that young) can go under Sergio Markarian's expert leadership!
[REPLY]
In A formula for learning Spanish in Peru
Marcello says :
July 26, 2011 11:48:13
Thanks for the encouragement Larry.  The phone, TV and my mumbling landlord are the hardest things for me to understand here.  I stopped beating myself up for not being more proficient in Spanish after being here for 3 years.  Sometimes I surprise myself and sometimes I'm disgusted with my language skills.  But I'm not giving up and I can't wait to have the "Batman" experience you had! [REPLY]
In A formula for learning Spanish in Peru
Michael Connolly says :
July 26, 2011 10:02:33
I share your original feeling of "over confidence" in language skills!  I thought I was "fair to good" in overall skills........until I fell in love with a lovely Peruvian lady!  It was then that I began to realize how little I do know!  But, like yourself, I am working on it!   Saludos desde Seattle! [REPLY]
In Video: there's a hot new artisan baker in town
Daniela de la Piedra says :
July 26, 2011 7:30:40
Que buen articulo Jonathan! FELICITACIONES!!!
Ya llego a Lima para ir a comer la focaccia con aceite de oliva! Deliciosa.

Q sigan los éxitos!